There’s no shortage of choices when it comes to making a deposit to your online bookmaker accounts and if you’re looking for a payment method that’s universally accepted and uses strict safety measures, a payment by Visa or MasterCard credit or debit card is great option. As two of the world’s most recognisable brands, Visa and MasterCard deposits are accepted at all leading bookies on the Internet.
How to make a deposit at a bookies site using a credit or debit card
If you’ve ever used a debit or credit card to make an online purchase, depositing real money at a bookmaker site uses the same format. If you have a Visa, MasterCard or Maestro supported card, follow these simple steps to load funds to your bookies account:
- Sign into your online bookies account. If you don’t have an account, follow the links to our recommended sites to sign up and take advantage of any special welcome bonuses on offer.
- Head to the bookies banking section.
- Select Visa or MasterCard as your deposit option and enter your card details, expiry date and CVV number.
Enter the amount of funds you wish to transfer from your credit or debit account.
- Hit submit – the funds will typically be available in your account to bet with immediately.
- Note that a majority of reputable online bookies will require you to verify your account by sending in documentation like a copy of your driver’s license, passport or National Identity Card. If choosing to fund your account using a credit card you may also need to provide a copy of the front and back of your card. Refer to the banking terms and conditions of the site you’re using on for the vendors specific requirements.
Different credit card conditions for Americans
While players from Australia, the UK, New Zealand and those countries in Europe that allow online gambling will not have an issue making a deposit using a credit card at any of our recommended bookies, punters from the USA will encounter some road blocks. The issue for Americans is that due to the Unlawful Internet Gaming Enforcement Act (UIGEA) imposed by the US Government, many online bookies will not accept users from the USA as the UIGEA restricts American financial institutions from processing payments to online gambling sites.
Some bookmakers like Bovada and 5Dimes will accept American players, allowing payments by Visa credit, debit or gift cards only. The catch is that the Visa card must be eligible to make international payments and you will need to complete and send in a credit card verification form along with a copy of your government issued ID before deposits can be processed.
Is it safe to make a deposit using Visa or MasterCard?
Making a deposit using a Visa or MasterCard credit or debit card is up there with the safest of all online payment options. While all of our recommended bookie sites are safe and protected by a minimum of 128 Bit SSL (Secure Socket Layer) digital encryption security, payments using the trusted Visa and MasterCard brands have the added benefit of being protected by strict security measures of their own. Both Visa and MasterCard have dedicated anti-fraud, anti-theft teams working for them around the clock, carrying a zero tolerance policy to any unlawful transactions made using your card. This means on the rare off-chance that a payment is made on your Visa or MasterCard without your permission, there are customer service teams that will refund your money and work to figure out how the unauthorised transaction occurred.
Benefits and disadvantages of using a credit card at a bookie site
There are some great advantages of using Visa or MasterCard at a bookmaker site, but there are a couple of drawbacks to keep in mind. Some of the benefits of choosing to fund your account with a credit or debit card include:
- Security – the safety measures in place by these two world renowned brands can’t be beat, leaving to you to bet online without concern for the security of your financial details.
- Accessibility – more bookies will accept Visa and MasterCard than any other payment method, so you can bet at multiple venues without having to use different payment methods.
- Instant availability – credit and debit card payments are generally available for immediate use, which means that once you’ve entered your card details to deposit your funds, you can start placing real money wagers without having to wait for funds to clear.
- Free deposits – most online bookies don’t impose any fees for deposits made using Visa or MasterCard
There are a few downsides of using a credit card to bet online which you should be aware of before grabbing your Visa or MasterCard to make a deposit:
- Restrictions – some banks may place restrictions on gambling companies and therefore may block deposits you attempt to make using your credit or debit card (for example, banks like Virgin, Bank of Queensland, Suncorp, Bank of America and Citibank block all payments made to CrownBet) .
- Transaction limits – most credit cards come with daily transaction limits, which means there’s a certain amount of money you’re able to access within a 24 hour time frame. While this won’t be an issue for most punters, it may be a hindrance to those wanting to place higher wagers. Refer to your financial institution terms and conditions for any daily transaction limits attached to your credit card account.
Online bookmakers that accept credit card deposits
Payments via Visa, MasterCard and Maestro credit and debit cards are widely accepted at our favourite, secure online bookmakers which can be accessed from the table above, which has been geo targeted to your location. Meaning you are eligible to sign up and claim the outstanding bonus offers available.